10.11.2010

Playful Stripes Meets Alpaca



 So over the past few weeks I indulged in some more tiny sweater knitting.

I'm so pretty and Alpaca-y

There is something so sweet about sweaters this small. It makes me miss my daughter when she was a baby. Now she is all big and her sweaters take much longer to knit. 

I made this Playful Stripes sample for a temporary display at my new local yarn shop and eventually for another trunk show.

Alpaca Playful Stripes framed

This is a size 6 months so it was very fast and fun to knit. 
This time I broke out of my Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino comfort zone and knit this up in Blue Sky Alpaca Sport and Melange instead. The Melange and Sport are the same weight and put up. The Melange however offers up beautiful heathered colorways. Both are 100% baby alpaca. 
It may not be as practical for a baby but it sure is gorgeous in this yarn. 
So warm and soft.

I love these fall colors together. If you want to copy me, I wont mind. Here are the colors I used:

Blue Sky Alpacas Sport in color #504 Light Tan
Melange in color #800 Cornflower
Melange in color #814 Pumpernickel
Melange in color #806 Salsa
Melange in color #807 Dijon

Alpaca Playful Stripes closeup framed

While I was knitting this I was thinking about how much these colors would lend themselves to a little boys sweater as well. I think that the Playful Stripes could definitely work for a baby boy. I would simply change the picot borders to a rolled Stockinette st hem to make it less girly.

Pattern available HERE.


26 comments:

Chrissy said...

So cute!! Love your creations!

Denise said...

This looks gorgeous in the yarn you've used :) Loved the original too.

Erika said...

Its my favorite yarn!

Lindsay said...

What gorgeous colors! You are so talented!

Unknown said...

aww I want a little one to knit this for!

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

Love it...another hit, Alana!

Unknown said...

oh such lovely stripes just enough to give it texture and detail.. love the color combination too... reminds of fall
hugs Birgit

Nancy said...

This is beautiful! You could make one for each season!

BeyondStitches said...

How adorable!

Bernadette said...

What a cozy, sweet sweater... And alpaca is so soft and cuddly! GReat job, lovely photos!

Kelly-ann said...

So sweet and I love the colors you picked out. Now that your daughter is older, you can knit her quick accessories...I am thinking about some fingerless mittens for my 5 year old.

penelope10 said...

This pattern is so very cute, been wanting to do it for a long time. I love those Autunm colours, my fav.

CeRae said...

mmmmmmm... coooooooozy. Can't wait to snuggle it at the shop ;)

Nancy said...

Colors are perfect and wonderful together.

Beth said...

I love it in those colors! And those buttons are great.

MaryLou said...

Love it! It looks so cozy and soft.

fabulous yarn said...

We love this too! This yarn is so fabulous for babies!
Judy
fabulousyarn.com
fibersforfanatics

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Amazing what a difference in yarn can make.

Kimara said...

This is incredibly lovely. I love the colors. This inspiration comes at the perfect time... I have a 7 day old grandbaby! Thanks for sharing.

Kimara said...

BTW... just ordered the pattern and can't wait to get started. I'll be linking on Facebook. Thanks again for such an adorable little sweater.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

It's beautiful!! I love the colors!

Julie Petty said...

Beautiful and I KNOW it is soft, your pictures are beautiful too!

annamae said...

I have always adored this pattern but now you've made me fall in love all over again! it's amazing what a color changes can do! I instantly thought this could be a baby boy sweater. So precious!

Poethead said...

I love this in alpaca. So sweet!

Jamie said...

So gorgeous! What lovely color choices. I have your pattern and still haven't decided on colors.

Kimara said...

I just wanted to say thank you for this totally awesome pattern. I just finished it and mailed it off to one of my grandbabies. It is soooo adorable! If you'd like to see photos, I blogged about it today with links back to the pattern and lots of photos. Thanks again! http://weefolkart.com/content/playful-stripes-cardigan