9.28.2011

The Beauty of Handmade


As many of you know, we are going to be welcoming a 
new baby boy into our family in November...which I am so excited about!
A little over a week ago, I had my baby shower and received so many wonderful gifts from family and friends.

Among these presents, were some very special handmade things given to me by my two sisters-in-law.
These two girls are amazingly talented and thoughtful.

My one sister in law, Erica, knit this beautiful sweater for our baby boy. This is the Rufus Textured Cardi from the book Vintage Baby Knits knit from Knit Picks City Tweed dk. So adorable!
 And in my favorite color too!



She also made this AMAZING mermaid for my daughter as a "big sister present". This mermaid is seriously one of the cutest knitted things I've ever seen. There is so much detail.. I know she must have put a lot of time into it. 

The pattern is called Mermaid from the book Dream Toys. I love this book and everything in it. 


My daughter's 4 year old dark-haired cousin has a matching doll with brown hair so that they can play mermaids together. So very sweet.


And as you can see.. my daughter loves it! They have been inseparable friends lately. 
There was a moment of panic in our house when mermaid fell tragically behind my daughter's bed.. but she was soon rescued.. and all is well again. :)




My other talented sister-in-law, Malaree, made this amazing handsewn jacket for our new little one.


But I should mention... it also came with matching appliqued onesies...


AND reversible pants...


Yes. And EVEN matching shoes.


Does it get any cuter than that?

She seriously outdid herself with this one. I cannot wait to try this outfit on our baby!

These handmade gifts mean so much to me. It makes me feel so special that someone would spend the time to make these beautiful things for us. I truly appreciate all of the time and effort that went into each of these items, and they will be treasured for years to come.

Thank you so much!



35 comments:

Amy Bailes said...

Love the sweater, the mermaid is awesome and that baby boy outfit is totally the bomb! You have very talented SILs.

Unknown said...

These handmade gifts are so so so so beautiful! You're very blessed to have such kind and talented family.

Annie Cholewa said...

Oh my, he's gonna be one well dressed little fella when he turns up!

Zenitude said...

How lucky! Handmade items have a special meaning due to all the love that went in them when they were being made. I love the knitted cardi and the sewed outfit is outstanding. Can't wait to see your little boy in them.

Cambria said...

This is so sweet! Just what I needed after an emotionally charged weekend :) I love that little sweater. I had a student in one of my knitting classes that was working on that last month and it turned out beautiful.

And I loved the photo of your daughter with her mermaid doll, lol. What a happy little girl :)

Unknown said...

What beautiful gifts! So much time and love put into each and every one.

Amy said...

Those are such lovely gifts! I love handmade items...you can see the love radiate out of them.

T said...

What lovely gifts! Can Marlee share info on the pattern for the jacket pants and shoes? Too sweet!!!

Jessica said...

You are so lucky to have such talented and wonderful sister-in-laws!!! Beautiful gifts!
jpeled on ravelry

Annwen said...

Such lovely gifts! There is no better than handmade items in my opinion :)

I think the jacket, pants and shoes patterns might all be from Anna Maria Horners book Handmade Beginnings!

Unknown said...

Such great gifts! Hand made gifts are always the best, and hand made baby gifts are just over the top awesome! They are adorable.

Lori said...

Oh, those are both just gorgeous! It's it wonderful when you receive beautiful, handmade gifts instead of being the one giving them? While giving them is sheer pleasure, it is awfully nice to be the recipient now and then. :)

Ertman-Trowbridge Family said...

Oh my goodness! Too sweet. I have my shower this weekend, but I don't think I will get anything handmade that is that amazing.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

such great baby gifts & that mermaid is the cutest

Unknown said...

The cardi and the jacket are both ADORABLE. Loving the Mermaid too. Your SILs both deserve great big hugs!

Acorn to Oak said...

Such love filled, beautiful gifts. :-) Your daughter is so adorable with her new found friend. :-)

Amy Olsen said...

I bet they take the time to make handmade because they know you appreciate the time and love that goes into making these beautiful gifts. They know they are appreciated by a fellow crafter. Beautiful and thoughtful.

grandmastatus said...

Aww what wonderful gifts! (I love that toy book, too, and have been wanting to make the mermaid for a long time.) SO much love and thought went into these gifts- what a lucky baby :D

christine m. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christine m. said...

all i can say is LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

Julie said...

ooh, amazing little gifts!! And what a thoughtful big sister gift- that mermaid is stunning.

penelope10 said...

What lovely gifts!! Such talent!

Evelyn said...

I'm truly amazed that you have so many talented women in your family! Each gift is incredible and the big sister mermaid will forever be part of your family.

crookedknits said...

Such wonderful gifts! You're such a lucky mommy :o)

Marina said...

Congratulations on your soon-to-be-born bundle of joy! Since it's a boy(!), does that mean we will see some designs for little boys soon? I hope so!;-)

VTwin said...

..precious..

Deb said...

Absolutely adorable ! What a talented family you are!

Lisa said...

oh my gosh! such beautiful presents! I am in awe of that jacket, onesis, pants AND shoes! He's one lucky little boy :)

polkaknits said...

What a wonderful gifts! The sweater is soo adorable!
I have a D-day also in November. I'm not sure if it's a boy or a girl. I feel very happy and excited when I listen to your podcast and read about all baby things.
Best wishes!

kaystir said...

Wow such a talented family you have. All of those items are simply beautiful!

janne said...

The best gifts of all are the handmade ones, so much though and love goes into them. They are treasures.

Nuttygal said...

What special gifts. Handmade gifts are always the best. They are so sweet.

HelenKnits said...

Gorgeous gifts!

Campbell Kids said...

Wow! What amazing gifts - I love them all! You have some very talented sisters-in-law!

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

So cute! I really really love that jacket.
I am being blessed with a great-grand daughter in November so now I get to make LOTS & LOTS of girl baby things. I had 2 grandsons, so this will be a fun thing for me.