8.13.2013

The Lacy Beast



I just finished my very first lace shawl design and I am feeling over the moon.
Not just because I designed it. But because it is finally. off. my. needles. And because I didn't kill anyone in the process of creating this lacy beast.



This shawl was ripped out and re-knit so many times that I lost count. Or at least I have repressed the memory. Being the lazy and over confident knitter that I sometimes can be, I could not be bothered with putting in lifelines. Instead I fearlessly shoved hundreds of lacy stitches off of the needles, ripped back and tediously had to feed all of those tiny yarn overs and decreases back onto my circular needle... over and over and over again.

Several times I wanted to give up. Several times I wanted to disown this project.
But in the end, I kept with it. I conquered the beast. The battle has been fought and won.

Hopefully my pain will result in your knitting joy. 
Look for this pattern in my upcoming book, Botanical Knits 2!



19 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful and I'm sure worth every single painfully ripped out and re-knit stitch.

YarnOnTheHouse said...

Absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see your new book. :)

Maid In England said...

Absolutely striking and gorgeous! You have outdone yourself with this design! I hope that you'll be keeping the name, "The Lacy Beast", it is perfect for it :-)

MegR said...

Oh my goodness, so so worth your effort, gorgeous!

Katy said...

This is utterly beautiful. I am hoping that I have the patience and skill to recreate this as it would make a perfect gift (after I did one for myself of course).

Savannagal said...

Your shawl is lovely. Congratulations. I'm sure everyone will love it. I can't wait to get a peek at your book.

The Restless Knitter said...

Just beautiful! As a fledgling designer and fellow fearless knitter, I feel you pain! So often I do exactly the same thing and then rip, rip, rip (with nary a lifeline in sight!) So glad you persisted with this, the result is truly stunning.

RC said...

Very beautiful! I can't imagine how frustrating it is to continually rip something out. If I get to that point, I just toss it in a corner until I am up for ripping it all out and making the yarn in to something else! lol

Audry said...

I don't use lifelines either. Usually I'm fine, but every once in awhile....
I'm glad you persevered and finished the shawl. It looks lovely!

Brandi Schoch said...

What a gorgeous piece of art! I wouldn't dare do lace like that without a lifeline. You are a brave woman indeed!

Maryse said...

I also like to live dangerously although this one looks quite lacy and a life line might be useful ;-) Beautiful design!

Julie said...

oh wow, that looks stunning!! I am definitely one of the many who is very excited for Botanical Knits 2!

shabby girl said...

Wow, wow, wow! That is gorgeous!

Nuttygal said...

I love it!!! I can't wait to make it

Carol said...

Not that I hadn't already planned on getting your book, but this piece of exquisite design seals the deal. It is absolutely stunning.

Unknown said...

What a beauty! Can't wait to get the pattern in your up and coming book. I'm holding my breath.

oklyous said...

Oh that is just the perfect lace shawl! Been looking for ages for something perfect. LOVE it!

Unknown said...

Omg, so pretty!

Ericacr said...

With this as a tease, can't wait to see Botanical Knits 2!