6.13.2010

Peter Rabbit


Recently I attended my Sister-in-law's baby shower for my soon to be born nephew.
I wanted to bring a little handmade gift, but not just any handmade gift.
I was trying to think of something a bit out of the ordinary and came up with this little idea.

I've always enjoyed classic children's books, and I love the Beatrix Potter collection.
So, for my nephew I decided to get him his very own special edition of "Peter Rabbit"
and knit him his own little knitted version of Peter to go with it.
I have this little vision of him holding Peter while having the story read to him.



Here he is... complete with his own little carrot and blue jacket.
Just like the character in the story. I think he turned out quite well!

The pattern I used for Peter was the Well-dressed bunny pattern found here.
I modified the mini waistcoat pattern that is included by adding sleeves and a shawl collar.
I was trying to get the style as similar to the illustration as possible.
The carrot I invented on the fly and sewed to one of his little hands...err... paws.

I was so pleased to find the tiny carrot button that is used on his jacket.
It's been sitting in my button stash for years. I was thrilled to finally find the perfect project to use it for!



One of my favorite parts of Peter has to be this white fluffy tail. So cute!


Making Peter Rabbit was a wonderful way to use up all sorts of yarn scraps that I had lying around!
His body is made up of Spud and Chloe Sweater yarn, the jacket is Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino yarn...
and do you recognize some of that green yarn on the carrot?
Its none other than a few snippets of my special "Never Not Knitting Green" skein!



I really hope my nephew loves him!


37 comments:

Debbie T said...

What a great idea...'Peter' is so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG - That is the cutest baby gift EVER! Lucky, lucky nephew!

Sereknitty said...

Ingenious and so adorable!

YarnOnTheHouse said...

That is just too darn cute!

joy said...

I'm sure your nephew will love him, he's gorgeous

Unknown said...

This is really really cute!

Unknown said...

Oh this is brilliant! Great idea, and I'm sure he will adore it!

Peacecat said...

Most adorable rabbit ever!

CelticCastOn said...

He`s gorgeous! He will indeed be loved!

Laura Hooker said...

OMG...PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joansie said...

What a lucky little boy. I bet this rabbit will be his new best friend.

Dawn said...

Just adorable!

Anonymous said...

That button is so perfect, I love that you just had it lying around in your stash! I think there is no doubt the little boy is going to adore this toy. : )

Gigi said...

Love him! One of my little grandsons is a Peter Rabbit fan -- think I must put this in my queue.
Blessings,
G

Zenitude said...

I love it, he is so adorable!

Amy said...

Very cute!! Great job!!

Unknown said...

Very cute! That is such a good idea to make a toy to go with a book. I´ll have to keep that in mind for my next 1 or 2 year old birthday party or Christmas present.

Knitting Diva said...

So Perfect and totally Ingenious!

Unknown said...

How sweet! I'm sure baby (and parents) will love him. And thanks for the nudge back to my memories of the Beatrix Potter books.

Mosaic Magpie said...

That is the cutest bunny. What a great gift that I am sure will be well loved.
Debbie

Jessica said...

That is absolutely one of the CUTEST baby gifts ever! And how special that it was lovingly handmade by his aunt? I am sure your Peter Rabbit will receive many hugs and kisses from your future nephew!!

Julie said...

so adorable!! I absolutely love it. What an amazing gift.

Madison said...

I love him he is adorable! You should amend the pattern and publish it for the rest of us who aren't so talented. By the way, i bought and made your haltermelon for my daughter's second birthday. It came out awesome; thanks for all your help!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely adorable!! Love the little carrot and the button:)

Karen said...

He looks fantastic, very like the illustrations.

BeyondStitches said...

OMG! He is adorable!!!

penelope10 said...

my daughter has always loved Peter Rabbit, that is the cutest ever!

beornica said...

**SWOON**
I'm in labor at this very moment with my baby boy, I wish I had made him a bunny ahead of time! Thanks for linking the pattern, hopefully I'll have time afterwards!

BEAUTIFUL job. I adore this. It looks spectacularly cuddly and sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

So adorable! What a cute idea!

Michelle B said...

absolutley adorable!

Carla said...

Soo cute!

nonapearl said...

Simply ADORABLE!!!

Toja said...

Too cute! What a wonderful idea!

StaceyKnitsIt said...

Really Cute!!

annmarie said...

very, very sweet! :)

Poethead said...

Very cute! Did you have to make one for your little girl, when she laid her eyes on this one?!!

Angeline Bowman said...

He's perfect! I'm sure your nephew must love him!