4.24.2008

Beginner Socks

I finished the sock samples I was knitting for my upcoming sock classes.
Fortunately my fabulous sister-in-law, Malaree has the same size feet as me and helped me out with sock modeling. You will find her blog here.
As I had previously mentioned, I used Artyarns Supermerino for these socks which is a lovely hand-painted worsted weight yarn. I used size 6 needles and knit each sock using a different sock knitting method while still sticking to the Knitting Pure and Simple Beginner Socks pattern. I've discovered that I love the magic loop method! My stitches were so much smoother and the knitting went a lot faster.


I am excited about my new socks because I think they will be the perfect "wear around the house" socks, and will keep my feet really warm when the weather gets cooler. I imagine that they would wear well with clogs too.


This pattern is great for those who want to quickly knock out a pair of socks for a gift. A pair just takes a few evenings worth of knitting to complete. This is also a fabulous pattern for someone who has never knit socks before. It is simple and so easy to follow.


I did make a few pattern modifications. Instead of doing a 1x1 ribbing at the top, I opted for the more attractive and stretchy 2x2 rib. The math worked out just fine. Also the pattern calls for a 7 inch leg. I was so worried about conserving yarn that I knit mine 5 inches and then ended up with lots of yarn left over....


Don't you just hate that?

1 comment:

Carla said...

These are so gorgeous! Just turning the heel on my second sock